In simple terms, marketing is the things you do to put your product or service in front of your target customer. Marketing touches on every aspect of your business. It covers;
- Market research and learning more about a potential customer
- The brand and what values customers associate with it
- Communicating with customers in a way they can understand
- The design used for your business, from the packaging to business cards and your website
- Measuring how effective the above are and the impact it has on the business
Marketing has been seen in a bad light because people think of junk and spam emails, and they are right to a certain point. They fall under marketing. But junk or spam mail is marketing that has been done really badly! But good marketing is so much more from targeted print campaigns to enlisting specialist help like in SEO Hampshire.
What Is Good Marketing?
Good marketing will involve investing time and effort in thought and planning. It is important to know who your potential customer is and how to reach them, and also use the right message to do so. When you do marketing well, your potential customer is going to be happy you reached them because you have made their life a little easier. You have managed to tell them more about your business. They will then decide whether to use your product or services or not. Through the marketing message, they know the benefits they can expect by dealing with you, which increases your chances of being chosen over others.
Why Do Businesses Need Marketing?
Marketing should be at the core of any business plan. There are a number of reasons why marketing is important;
- Helps in growing the business – you will need to find new customers or convince the existing ones to buy more in order to increase your revenue. You will need marketing to do either of these.
- People are going to easily find you when they need your product or services – people have a wide range of options in different areas of their lives. You need to let your potential customer know that you are an option, so you need to tell them if you want to be found.
- Setting yourself apart from the rest – why should a potential customer choose you over your competition? Through marketing, you can communicate your advantage to them over the others, and they will most likely choose you.
- Building trust – people are going to trust you when they know about the brand and associate it with positive things. Trust is a powerful sales tool.
Marketing can seem a little daunting if you have not done it before. The good thing is you have been doing some marketing, whether you did it consciously or without even knowing. If you have the name of your brand on the van, it is considered marketing. Do you have a website? That is also marketing.
The first step when doing something is going to be the hardest. You should begin by doing something simple. What are you currently doing when it comes to marketing? You should note down everything. Is it representing your business? Are you happy with it? Does it look professional? Is there consistency? This is a quick audit that will help you know where you are at the moment. You will have the chance to come up with steps you can take to reach the goals you have set for your business.